First go at a busking show file - thoughts?

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
Dave71

Just put together my first busking show file for my current fixtures - only small budget stuff for my band. Still a bit of work to do but feel free to download and have a look/offer advice/criticise as you see fit. ;)

Currently running off a windows Laptop/mac mini with Enttec Open DMX usb adapter via a powered usb hub. Plans to make a slimmer version to run off a Pi that I control with a 12 button Arduino based midi over usb foot controller which will just trigger the 12 Master Presets. Pi is mounted in a short 2U rack with router, USB hub, enttec adapter and 8 way DMX splitter. 3 cables to plug in and it's up and running. Going to invest in a better adapter to use with my laptop (probably the enttec dmx pro) if i decide to upgrade my fixtures and do some lighting for anyone else later down the line

I think I've got everything covered in this version. Lots of tweaking and adding things as i went. Essentially for everything that could be switched on (gobo rotate/prism etc) i created a scene to switch off and made sure they were in the presets. As far as i can tell, i can busk through all my fixtures then with a simple hit of the space bar and select a master preset, I can get to whatever look i want . 99% of the fixtures are set to LTP

Don't have a visualiser so not sure if the positions are right, plan is to setup my lights at work one evening and have a run through everything. Happy to upload the fixture files if anyone wants them

Cheers
Attachments
QLC Busking backup.qxw
(432.7 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
GGGss

1st comment: This is a backup file—very nice! Always create backups (even to the 3rd generation!). Thank me later ;-)

I started your show file and tried to operate it. Three pages mean you created it; only you know where the commands are.
The re-use of scenes may cause conflicts: Intimadator Spots - Drums, Position, Front up X equals Fusion Spots, Bass Bins, Position, Band Lissajou Fast

I like your preset masters. You might create v2 with only intensity faders and preset masters. Anyone will be able to operate.
Nice work ;-)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MichelSliepenbeek

I had a look at your Busking set up, and at first glance it already looks good.

But i also saw some possibilities to improve (you asked for it):

1. on Multi Page Frames always turn the Circular Scrolling on.
Once you are used to it, you cannot do without anymore.

2. a Level Fader for your Battens is missing.
If your Fixture does not have a Master Level Channel, you can make use of a SubMaster.
The essence is to put the submaster in a frame, together with the Functions you want it to work on.
So in this case create a frame for your Color Selector Functions, add a slider to it and (on the Final Tab) set it in Submaster mode.
While doing so you should notice that it makes sense to change the orientation of your Color Selector from Horizontal to Vertical.

You can do the same (use a submaster) for your other RGB type Fixtures. I suggest you move the Master Level sliders to a specific Set Up Frame (that you keep minimised while running your show).
I also use a separate Submaster for my RGB Matrices (chasers, Sequences, ....). Once you learn what you can do with the Add and Subtract mode of the RGB matrices, you will understand why.

3. be consistent.
While busking you need to react on what is happening on stage: so your eyes should be on the musicians not on your screen (looking to find the buttons and sliders you want to use).
Therefor it is important to standardise on the colors you use and always put them in the same order (and use the same Button Size).
If you create widgets for specific groups of Fixtures make sure that similar functions always can be found on the same place: so Fader and Color Selector always on the Left etc.
You can also use specific colors for specific types of buttons (like Light Grey for Effects and Dark Grey for Gobo's).

4. masterconsole.
it is important to concentrate the widgets and functions you use most on one screen.
So in your situation i would skip the 3 page set up and instead use multi pages for each Fixture Group (move the Individual colors to page 2 per Fixture Group).

5. use QLC+'s Strobe.
If your Fixtures are not all from the same Manufacturer and Model, your build in Strobe channels all have different ranges and sensitivities: it will be a disaster to find the same frequencies to get them in sync.
It is so much easier to use RGB Matrix Strobe (and use it in Mask Mode so it will work with any color you have set).
Next step could be to add a Loopback Slider to the Range of your Speed Dial so that you can change the Frequency dynamically.

If you do so, it could look like this:
QLC Busking V2.qxw
(462.59 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
MichelSliepenbeek

In this post https://www.qlcplus.org/forum/viewtopic ... 144#p71144 you will find examples of how to use the Different Blend Modes of RGB Matrices.

It also shows you how to dynamically control the Speed of your RGB Matrices.
What you need to know to understand this:
- the slider frame is minimised: press the button in the Left Top corner to "Unfold".
- i use seperate Speed Dials for Run Time and Fade Time. Make sure to use values that make sense: if your Fade In time is longer then your Run Time you will kill the effect.
- the faders use Loopback (in a separate universe).
- the example will also work without the Input profile (but the Descriptions make it a lot easier to understand).
- the Fast Med Slow buttons use Sequences: i learned that a sequence with 2 different values (does not have to be High Low) is more stable than using Scenes.
A QLC Workspace is like a Bob Ross painting: "it's your world, you can create whatever you want!"
Dave71

Great, thanks for the feedback and advice. Lots of things to work on and some new tricks to learn. I'll plod though everything 1 bit at a time and hopefully produce a new version soon

Thanks again

Dave
Dave71

Had a bit of a tinker over the last couple f days, finding it very theraputic whilst the wolves are at the door. Still a lot to discover and learn!

Only minor improvements but a step in the right direction
1. turned on circular scrolling, the full stop key scrolls
2. cut down to 2 pages with less used fixture functions on page 2 of the relevant fixtures
3. sub-master added to the battens solo frames. had to add a sub-master for each section

The gobo frames make more sense on my laptop as they have the relevant background images - which don't transfer
Still a bit to do and i'll experiment with a completely different layout, more of a grid base to the frames akin to avo/chamsys. Also look at re ordering colours/positions so they match. May make page 1 Pars and wash as they are the key fixtures with the spots adding more effects/depth to the setup
Attachments
QLC Busking Backup v2.qxw
(447.13 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
GGGss

Dave71 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:17 am 3. sub-master added to the battens solo frames. had to add a sub-master for each section
With a Loopback magic trick, you can multiplex one slider into a multiple slider. You can have one slider in control of all your submasters if you want.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
MichelSliepenbeek

I spent some time to apply all the suggested changes to your workifle and added the result as "QLC Busking V2.qxw" to my post.
Untill now it's downloaded only once :( : if you are not the one who did that, you should have a look.

I guess you are familiar with the QLC+ User Lib: the library where you should store your custom made Fixtures, Inputprofiles, MidiTemplates etc.
Apart from your QXW workfiles it is important to always include this User Lib with your regular Back Ups or when you move your Workfile from one PC to another PC.

I created some extra folders within this QLC+ User Lib to store the Pictures i use for specific buttons, Tools (MidiMix, ....) and Drivers (for my USB Dongle, launchpad, Tascam USB audio interface, ...) as well as some modified RGB scripts.
That way i only have to select my user lib for Back Up (or transfer to another PC) and am shure that i have everything i need.

It might be an idea for you to create a folder for (the pictures of) your Gobo's in your User Lib.
Dave71

I did see the amended file but wanted to have a quick go at some improvements by figuring things out myself before revealing the answers.
I’ll certainly download it and have a look as soon as I can.
I sincerely appreciate the input and the great advice regarding the folders. Certainly didn’t think of that.